No matter where you are moving, where you are intending to go, where you are planning your future education and imagining your career, the most essential thing you need is “ENGLISH PROFICIENCY TEST”, or we can say, YOU must be able to speak, read, and understand the English language, perfectly and efficiently. The language barrier is the only disparity that divides the society so Australia has found a way to overcome it!
With English, you can move into Australian diversified society effectively and freely. Before processing your application and exploring your options, you must know the English language requirements to gain a student visa in Australia. Here we are clarifying certain doubts of students, worldwide.
English language proficiency test – A principal requirement
You can choose your course and career pathways at your free will in Australia. You are most welcomed to choose any of the elite academic institutes. BUT, all demands proof of your valid English language proficiency test. In some cases, exceptions can be made, which are explained below:
- Scholars with 5 years degree from Australia, NZ, Canada, South Africa, or the Republic of Ireland.
- Individuals with legal passports of the United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, New Zealand, or the Republic of Ireland.
- A person having the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education from Australia in 2 years.
- Students who are sponsored by the Foreign Affairs or Defence department.
One thing you need to make sure of is that your valid test should be within a period of two years. Test older than two years are not compatible with student visas, not been under any critical scenarios.
Acceptable language tests in Australia
To process your application and get your student visa legally, you can show evidence for any of the five major English language tests.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is the most common and famous test.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is an internet-based test which is found equivalent to IELTS
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) is also one of the preferred tests to get quick admission to an Australian university.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic might be your perfect test for fast access to international educational institutes.
- Occupational English Test (OET) is the best fit for employment options.
Minimum language test score
The most frequently asked question is “what is the minimum score required in any English Language Test to apply for admission in Australia’s universities?” and the answer is NOT simple but we have summarized it efficiently to make you understand better! First, it depends on your selected course or degree. Secondly, the level of the institute matters. Thirdly, comes the country of citizenship.
- IELTS minimum score: 5.5
- TOEFL minimum score: 46
- CAE minimum score: 162
- PTE minimum score: 42
- OET minimum grade: A or B grade
These minimum scores, grades, and bands are subjected to change in case of passing and learning ELICOS, depending on if you have completed your 10 weeks course or 20 weeks course. For undergraduate degrees, the following overall scores suggest the least obligation at maximum campuses:
- IELTS: 6.0 to 6.5
- TOEFL: 60 to 90
- CAE: 169 to 176
- PTE Academic: 50 to 64.
Well, if you are looking for medical courses, you may have to face stricter demands. The most flexible grading is offered on Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses.