TOEFL, PR and IELTS requirements for Australian education
Wherever you plan to go, remember, ENGLISH is your key! And to prove your English proficiency and to get accepted in foreign industries, institutions or organization, you have to pass certain tests including PR, TOEFL and IELTS. IELTS is the mnemonic for International English Language Test System, compromising 4 modules reading, writing, speaking and listening. There are IELTS Academic (foreign education) and IELTS General Training (immigration). In Australia, multiple universities offer education and top-class degrees without the need for scoring high on IELTS or TOEFL. But at the same time, you may require higher bands in IELTS to get admission in some of the prestigious institutions in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Townsville, Wollongong, Newcastle, Launceston, Albany and Devonport. Australian elected bodies only accept the TOEFL test given in authentic and genuine test centres under strict supervision to grant a visa.
If you are a student and planning to complete your degree or short courses in Australia, you have to prove your English capabilities to the Australian Department of Home Affairs. Before selecting any educational institution, check their IELTS or TOEFL requirements. Scoring high in English proficiency test give you several advantages in degree completion, getting scholarships and employment within a short period. Are you thinking about an alternative option for IELTS? Then consider yourself lucky because few Australian institutes consider TOEFL, CAE and PTE in place of the IELTS.
Acceptable English language for Australian education with minimum scoring
Minimum IELTS bands required – overall score of 6.0 to 6.5 (no band less than 5.5 to 6.0)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Minimum TOEFL required (internet-based test) – overall score of 60 to 90
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
Minimum CAE required – overall score of 169 to 176 (no less than 169 in any category)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
Minimum PTE Academic required – overall score of 50 to 64.
- Occupational English Test (OET).
Normal IELTS scoring acceptable in Australia’s famous institutions
The student visa is provided to the student with a minimum of 5.5 bands but for immigration, IELTS band goes high up to the requirement of 8.0. Generally, for undergrad and postgrad program, University of Melbourne demands 7.0 bands whereas Australian National University requires 6.5 for undergrad and 7.0 postgrad program. University of Sydney, University of Queensland, Monash University, University of New South Wales, University of Western Australia, Macquarie University, University of Wollongong and the University of Adelaide ask for 6.5 IELTS overall score and no less than 6.0 bands in each element in undergrad and postgrad program.
Is 5.5 IELTS band acceptable in Australia?
To complete your education in Australia, the minimum of the 6.5 overall scores in IELTS is the requirement. And if you are applying for a postgraduate try scoring 6.0 to get amazing options. But what will happen if you score around 5.5? Don’t get panic, some institutions do offer admissions and scholarships with lesser benefits in Australia. Having a minimum of 5.5 overall IELTS score, you can apply:
- Trinity College-the University of Melbourne (Accounting, Business and Management)
- Academies Australasia (Accounting)
- RMIT (Business and Management)
- Southern Cross University (Accounting)
- CQUniversity Australia (Accounting)
- Southern Cross University(Aviation Management, Associate Degree of Business, hotel management, Bachelor of Business in Tourism and Hospitality Management)
- Academy of Interactive Entertainment (Undergraduate courses in Game Design and Production and Game Art and Animation and Game Programming). It accepts a minimum 5.0 band in the writing section and 6.0 in the listening section.
- TAFE Western Australia (Advanced Diploma of Screen and Media). It accepts students with 5.0. the score, as well.
- IIBIT(Bachelor of Information Technology)
- Charles Sturt University- Melbourne Study Centre (MBA)
The validity of the IELTS score
Universally, the IELTS score stays applicable only for 2 years. After 2 years span, it will not be considered for education or immigration purposes.